Thursday, May 22, 2014

I get my medicine in the AIR!

For those of you who crave pictures of the kids, there's no pictures of the kids this post.  It's been a hell of a busy week, and I haven't spent much time around the kids, honestly.

My work people are saying...Wait!  You leave at 2:35p every day! How can you not spend a ton of time with the kids!

I leave MMS each day at 2:35, and head towards Hartland, where Anya goes to school at CSA.  It's an amazing program, and I won't bore any of you any more with their credentials...

Anyway.  I get to Hartland 55 minutes later most days at 3:30.  I could totally pick up Anya at this point, as she gets out of school at 3:35.  However, she LOVES going to "short watch", which is all the kids who can't be picked up immediately sitting in the gym enjoying each other's company.  This year there are a team of 5th graders who are future teachers who have taken a group of younger kids under their wing and started teaching them advanced concepts.  They actually taught Anya basic multiplication.  It's so, so cool.  They're actually making up their own interactive worksheets.

So, I pick up Anya at 4:15, and get home by 4:35p.

The girls eat dinner, and generally start fading from consciousness by 6:30-7p.

It's a quick evening, and then Shelley and I tend to chat and get house chores done.

Tonight's chatting was mostly about how much Amie rocked the radiation today.  She had her head bolted to the table for 20 minutes, and sailed through like a charm.

Shelley shared that the Dr. that's in charge came in 25 minutes after the scheduled starting time, saw Amie off the table,  and inquired about why they hadn't yet the treatment.  The tech replied that they had already finished, and the Dr. was utterly shocked. <all of this is 2nd hand retelling, btw>  He said that Amie was the youngest kid they'd ever had who had done radiation treatments without anesthesia.

We were really worried about that, by the way.  Amie had been anesthetized 19x prior to today, and we were looking at another 30x of anesthesia over the next 6 weeks. We know that it's "safe", but we can also predict that such intensive anesthesia cannot be good for the kid <Klimek input?> in the long-run.

Hopefully that will continue, and our little trooper will continue to rock things out for herself and us...and we can continue to not need anesthesia.

Next:  Amie loves to have things explained to her.  Her radiation treatment is on a table that is elevated, and the machine that delivers the radiation revolves around the table.  According to Amie she "gets her medicine in the AIR!"  I loved that idea.  Loved loved loved.

I'm running out of energy, but wanted to give some serious shoutouts to some VBPS people who are making me smile.

A bunch of former co-workers at the high school got together to sell cards for us, and they looked amazing.  Ms. Halliday (she of the donator of said Duplo Legos, favorites of Amie) gave us an envelope with the collected sales and donations that floored us.  It was great, great, great.

Jennifer Overholt, she of the bracelet sale, is also organizing a fundraiser at the Ypsilanti Buffalo Wild Wings for us.  You have to have the flier to gain access to the fundraiser, (hold the picture and save it to your phone for you techies.  Print it out for you luddites) but a certain percentage of the purchases will go to us.

I feel totally weird advertising that stuff, by the way.  Being that I'm the recipient, it seems slightly reminiscent of me pimping myself....  awkward!

One final thing for tonight as I fall asleep, the Ads on the page.  I realized recently that I could have turned on the ads a long time ago.  I've gotten roughly 130,000 page hits thus far, and that I could have been making money this whole time.  Disaster helps you erode your personal economic/moral boundaries, by the way.  So feel free to click on the ads, and help earn us a few spare cents.  I made $10 last week alone.  :)

More this weekend when I'm not so tired!  Hope all is well with each of you.