Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sleeping like a baby...

Amelie is snoring away across the room, out cold for the past two hours.



To quote Hazel from "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green, "Sleep Fights Cancer!"  Although the manner I just delivered that in my own head was a lot more energetic and positive than the sarcasm that was dripping from Hazel most of the time when she uttered that.

I only got to talk to Shel for a bit, as I took over and she got ready to leave.  Amelie was really demanding our attention, which always makes it hard to focus, remember and attend to the other person's desires at the same time.  I say all of that because the information I might have to relay is highly suspect due to sleep deprivation, stress, and overall fatigue.

With that being said, we're receiving 3 more doses of chemo tonight.  9pm, 10pm and 11pm.

Hoping she can sleep through all of that and sleep the rest of the night.  They might give her an ativan to preempt any nausea, like she had last night.  I told them to do whatever they thought best.  I'm sure not the one who spent years studying anatomy and pharmacology.

We haven't been showcasing much of the artwork that we've been receiving lately because things have been just so overwhelming.  However, I received these two today, both from former students, and wanted to do a little bit of thanking and bragging.

Not sure why I loved the crap out of this so much, but the idea of Dylan drawing Amelie walking down her "road to recovery", holding hands with a cat, and wearing a MSU shirt just really connected to me.  With so much uncertainty about her future, including whether or not she'll have one at all, it really just hit me how much there was in this picture....and I loved the leaves all over the place because, having spent so many years in East Lansing, I know how awesome fall can be in that town.



The other picture came from a long, long way away.  In 2010, I had an exchange student named Kaisa, from Finland.  I had previously had her sister Emma in 2007.  They were both utterly amazing students, ultra-kind people, and the kind of person you just wanted to keep in touch with for a very long time.  As with most sisters, she and her sister had a lot of similarities, but some very drastic differences as well....all good of course.

I'd previously learned of Kaisa's art skills when she drew me a pickle waving a Finnish flag (a heckuva great April Fools Day prank, if I say so myself), and now I get to see her rendition of a kittens playing in a field.  I showed it to Amelie and she just gushed over it.

Chemo's here...got to go!


3 comments:

  1. Awww, now you're really making me cry tonight...so loving my "daughter" Kaisa's drawing for your sweet and strong daughter Amelie..... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's just gorgeous. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete